208 West 40th Street
This understated Queen Anne house was built in 1897 by Louis S Harford, who worked as a clerk for Meinhard & Appel & Schaul, Clothing & Furnishing on Broughton Street. Vacant for well over 15 years, HSF’s Revolving Fund purchased the property in the summer of 2019. The previous owner had begun a remodel of the house, but never finished. When HSF purchased the property, we worked to restore the single-family floor plan. Fortunately, all the elements of the original staircase, including the newel post and balusters, we’re still in the house and have since been restored. The new owners have once again returned the house to an owner–occupied, single-family home.