The Daffin Park-Parkside Historic District features two distinct elements: the Beaux Arts-inspired Daffin Park that occupies the north half of the district and Parkside, a residential subdivision that contains mostly early twentieth-century single dwellings on twenty square blocks. Named for Philip Daffin, the first Chairman of the Savannah Park and Tree Commission, Daffin Park features the symmetry and axiality of the neighboring Ardsley Park-Chatham Crescent Historic District to the west.
Designed by landscape architect John Nolen, a student of Frederick Law Olmsted, in 1907, Daffin Park was built as a formal Beaux Arts-style park with two circular nodes joined to the four corners by tree-lined diagonal roads. Daffin Park is a rare example in Georgia of the Beaux-Arts influenced, “City Beautiful” type plan.
The houses in Parkside are mostly one- and two-story brick-and-frame dwellings built between 1914 and 1947 and feature a variety of architectural styles that include Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Cape Cod, and English Vernacular Revival. Parkside represents an early example of an early twentieth-century automobile suburb in Georgia.